[News] US Zionist Media and International Human Rights Day

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 11 12:56:19 EST 2006

http://www.aljazeerah.info/11%20o/US%20Zionist%20Media%20and%20International%20Human%20Rights%20Day%20By%20Mazin%20Qumsiyeh.htm

US Zionist Media and International Human Rights Day

By Mazin Qumsiyeh

Al-Jazeerah, December 11, 2006

Today is International human rights day. It is a start of a new week
after a week of rabid racist and anti-human rights rhetoric and work
carried around the US by the usual suspects (joined by a few others
who finally outed themselves as racists). The US media has had little
coverage of human rights issues. Instead the vicious attacks on Jimmy
Carter continue even though many of us consider his book far too
leaning and accommodating to racist Zionism (see below). Behind the
scenes and with no debate allowed, a a bill passed in Congress to
apply draconian sanctions on Palestinians, collective punishment,
until they "elect" (I put quotes because people under occupation do
not have full freedom to engage in modalities of elections as
International and Human Rights laws require) more acceptable leaders
who will agree to Israeli and US demands of surrender.

The sanctions will make life even more miserable in the occupied
territory nearly 40 years after Israel illegally occupied these
territories contrary to international law and UN resolutions. (Action
alert on this at bottom, please take action). In Congress, racists
like Tom Lantos stand with straight face to denounce Palestinians and
declare his allegiance to Israel instead of the US. On CNN, Glenn
Beck vilifies Muslims by questioning the loyalty of the one newly
elected member of Congress who happens to be Muslim.

While there are more Muslims in the US than Jews, over 43 members of
Congress are Jewish and only one is now Muslim. Beck then goes on to
vilify Palestinians (Christians and Muslims) claiming they were
backward "wandering nomads with few goats" ignoring the facts that
over 2500 thriving villages and towns existed before the State of
Israel proceeded with its ethnic cleansing. His racism is not unique.

It is common on TV and talk radio (Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark
Levin, Bill O'Reilly) and many more. It is common rhetoric from Mort
Zuckerman (editor and publisher of US Report and World News) and of
"commentators" (racist pundits) like Jeff Jacoby, Charles
Krauthammer, and Thomas Friedman. Does anyone really think that all
of these racist attacks are not connected in any way? More
importantly, do we, US citizens and taxpayers who are footing the
bill, swallow the language and actions of hate or challenge it?

I think more and more people are beginning to challenge it. Perhaps
that is why the aforementioned Zionists are becoming more shrill and
louder (they are beginning to worry that the message is not getting
through). I think that is why they need to be challenged with the
truth. They should be challenged to public debates and dialogues on
the issues. Many will shy away from that (Alan Dershowiz refuses to
debate Norman Finkelstein for example).

I have debated Morton Klein (President of the Zionist organization of
America), David Harris (American Jewish Committee) and over 11 other
Zionists. None of them (with the exception of one person) has the
courage to have another public dialogue with me. I urge all readers
to write to the media and write to the pundits themselves and
question why they will not debate post-Zionist or anti-Zionist Jews
or even knowledgeable Palestinians. Would love to debate Morton Klein
myself and people like him (anywhere/any time).

To go back to Human rights, why don't we all write to the media and
ask why Human Rights (and International Law) have been missing from
the "road map to peace" and from the Iraq Study Group Report. How can
we restore human rights (and constitutional protections) recently
stripped by the administrative and legislative branches of government
(and likely now to be endorsed by a reformulated supreme court)? Can
we mobilize enough people to speak truth to power (and realize that
collectively we do make a difference)? Freedom and human rights
ofcourse will not be granted to anyone by the oppressors, there must
be a struggle for these. Can we struggle together? Have a good Global
Human Rights day (and year).

New Groups

American Council on Middle Eastern Policy
<http://www.mideastcouncil.org/>http://www.mideastcouncil.org
Architects & Planners for Justice in Palestine
<http://www.apjp.org/>http://www.apjp.org New Website by Ramzy
Baroud, The Second Palestinian Intifada: A Chronicle of a People's
Struggle <http://www.ramzybaroud.net/>http://www.ramzybaroud.net/

President Jimmy Carter when asked about the use of the term Apartheid
said he was talking about the areas occupied by Israel in 1967. That
is sad since Israel practiced apartheid since 1947 when 70% of the
native Palestinians where expelled in the area that became Israel by
1949. 530 villages were completely depopulated but over 100 of the
remaining villages were never "recognized" by the Jewish state (so
they get no water, no electricity, no roads, no government services).
and Israel is now going to demolish more homes in these
"unrecognized" villages.

See below: "The Israeli interior minister, Roni Bar-On, declared that
his ministry has planned the demolition of more than 42,000 homes of
Palestinian Bedouins that were built even before 1948 when Israel was
proclaimed. The minister, speaking at a session for the Israeli
parliament's interior committee, claimed that all those houses were
"illegal" and warned that any new homes built in the so-called
"unrecognized" villages in the Negev [Naqab] desert would be razed.

According to PIC, the regional council for those villages, not
recognized by Israel, said in a statement commenting on the
minister's statement said that what the minister threatened meant the
destruction of an entire community. On the ground, the Israeli
authorities on Wednesday demolished 17 houses in Tawil village, Negev
[Naqab] desert, and assaulted an old woman and four young men who
tried to stop them."

<http://www.albawaba.com/en/countries/Palestine/207111>http://www.albawaba.com/en/countries/Palestine/207111

Fascinating developing discussion on Jewish opposition to Zionism

<http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/rosnerGuest.jhtml?itemNo=796902>http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/rosnerGuest.jhtml?itemNo=796902

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=3&cid=1164881826112&

<http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=3&cid=1164881826112&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull>pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

http://www.jewishpress.com/page.do/20074/Letters_To_The_Editor.htm

Delusional fabrication: Propaganda tools of Israel and American
Zionists By Paul J. Balles
<http://www.redress.btinternet.co.uk/pjballes40.htm>http://www.redress.btinternet.co.uk/pjballes40.htm

Two-state solution is dead, and Israel killed it. By: Jeff Halper,

<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17508024&BRD=1425&PAG=461&dept_id=154727&rfi=6>http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17508024&BR

<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17508024&BRD=1425&PAG=461&dept_id=154727&rfi=6>D=1425&PAG=461&dept_id=154727&rfi=6

Apartheid Israel: A Beacon of Hope? By Prof. VIRGINIA TILLEY
Counterpunch, 5 December 2006 (excellent article, MUST READ)

<http://counterpunch.org/tilley12052006.html>http://counterpunch.org/tilley12052006.html

Jewish Groups To Challenge Ethics Reform, By Nathan Guttman, Forward,
1 December 2006 (this does not really address the bigger scandal of
the powerful AIPAC and its refusal to register or disclose under the
foreign lobby rules- MQ) Two of America's most influential Jewish
organizations are gearing up for their first direct confrontation
with the incoming, Democratic-led Congress.

The topic: Democratic proposals for congressional ethics and lobbying
reform. At issue are two key congressional perks, targeted for
elimination, that Jewish organizations rely on to achieve community
goals: overseas junkets, including dozens of trips to Israel each
year, funded by Jewish organizations; and an estimated $25 million a
year in earmarked funds for Jewish communal projects. Both the trips
and the earmarked funding face possible elimination as part of the
Democrats' pledge to fight corruption on Capitol Hill.

<http://www.forward.com/articles/jewish-groups-to-challenge-ethics-reform/>http://www.forward.com/articles/jewish-groups-to-challenge-ethics-reform/

A regrettable indifference, By Amira Hass Haaretz 6 December 2006 (On
Israel holding of about 10,000 Palestinian Political Prisoners)

<http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/797419.html>http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/797419.html

ACTION 1: Contact the White House NOW by phone 202-456-1111, by fax
202-456-2461, and by email comments at whitehouse.gov and ask the
President to veto S.2370, the Palestinian Anti-Terrorism Act. Tell
the President that the United States should not be sanctioning people
for exercising their right to vote.

ACTION 2: Buy Palestine Products this holiday
<http://www.palestineonlinestore.com/>http://www.palestineonlinestore.com/

http://www.zatoun.com

<http://www.needleinthegroove.org/>http://www.needleinthegroove.org

Mazin Qumsiyeh