[News] Bolivia - The Power Of The People by Evo Morales

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 26 08:40:44 EST 2005

I Believe Only In The Power Of The People

by Evo Morales; December 24, 2005

Thank you for the invitation to this great
meeting of intellectuals "In Defense of
Humanity." Thank you for your applause for the
Bolivian people, who have mobilized in these
recent days of struggle, drawing on our
consciousness and our regarding how to reclaim our natural resources.

What happened these past days in Bolivia was a
great revolt by those who have been oppressed for
more than 500 years. The will of the people was
imposed this September and October, and has begun
to overcome the empire's cannons. We have lived
for so many years through the confrontation of
two cultures: the culture of life represented by
the indigenous people, and the culture of death
represented by West. When we the indigenous
people ­ together with the workers and even the
businessmen of our country ­ fight for life and
justice, the State responds with its "democratic rule of law."

What does the "rule of law" mean for indigenous
people? For the poor, the marginalized, the
excluded, the "rule of law" means the targeted
assassinations and collective massacres that we
have endured. Not just this September and
October, but for many years, in which they have
tried to impose policies of hunger and poverty on
the Bolivian people. Above all, the "rule of law"
means the accusations that we, the Quechuas,
Aymaras and Guaranties of Bolivia keep hearing
from our governments: that we are narcos, that we
are anarchists. This uprising of the Bolivian
people has been not only about gas and
hydrocarbons, but an intersection of many issues:
discrimination, marginalization , and most
importantly, the failure of neoliberalism.

The cause of all these acts of bloodshed, and for
the uprising of the Bolivian people, has a name:
neoliberalism. With courage and defiance, we
brought down Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada ­ the
symbol of neoliberalism in our country ­ on
October 17, the Bolivians' day of dignity and
identity. We began to bring down the symbol of
corruption and the political mafia.

And I want to tell you, companeras and
companeros, how we have built the consciousness
of the Bolivian people from the bottom up. How
quickly the Bolivian people have reacted, have
said ­ as Subcomandate Marcos says ­ ¡ya basta!,
enough policies of hunger and misery.

For us, October 17th is the beginning of a new
phase of construction. Most importantly, we face
the task of ending selfishness and individualism,
and creating ­ from the rural campesino and
indigenous communities to the urban slums ­ other
forms of living, based on solidarity and mutual
aid. We must think about how to redistribute the
wealth that is concentrated among few hands. This
is the great task we Bolivian people face after this great uprising.

It has been very important to organize and
mobilize ourselves in a way based on
transparency, honesty, and control over our own
organizations. And it has been important not only
to organize but also to unite. Here we are now,
united intellectuals in defense of humanity ­ I
think we must have not only unity among the
social movements, but also that we must
coordinate with the intellectual movements. Every
gathering, every event of this nature for we
labor leaders who come from the social struggle,
is a great lesson that allows us to exchange
experiences and to keep strengthening our people
and our grassroots organizations.

Thus, in Bolivia, our social movements, our
intellectuals, our workers ­ even those political
parties which support the popular struggle
­joined together to drive out Gonzalo Sánchez
Lozada. Sadly, we paid the price with many of our
lives, because the empire's arrogance and tyranny
continue humiliating the Bolivian people.

It must be said, compañeras and compañeros, that
we must serve the social and popular movements
rather than the transnational corporations. I am
new to politics; I had hated it and had been
afraid of becoming a career politician. But I
realized that politics had once been the science
of serving the people, and that getting involved
in politics is important if you want to help your
people. By getting involved, I mean living for
politics, rather than living off of politics. We
have coordinated our struggles between the social
movements and political parties, with the support
of our academic institutions, in a way that has
created a greater national consciousness. That is
what made it possible for the people to rise up in these recent days.

When we speak of the "defense of humanity," as we
do at this event, I think that this only happens
by eliminating neoliberalism and imperialism. But
I think that in this we are not so alone, because
we see, every day that anti-imperialist thinking
is spreading, especially after Bush's bloody
"intervention" policy in Iraq. Our way of
organizing and uniting against the system,
against the empire's aggression towards our
people, is spreading, as are the strategies for
creating and strengthening the power of the people.

I believe only in the power of the people. That
was my experience in my own region, a single
province ­ the importance of local power. And
now, with all that has happened in Bolivia, I
have seen the importance of the power of a whole
people, of a whole nation. For those of us who
believe it important to defend humanity, the best
contribution we can make is to help create that
popular power. This happens when we check our
personal interests with those of the group.
Sometimes, we commit to the social movements in
order to win power. We need to be led by the
people, not use or manipulate them.

We may have differences among our popular leaders
­ and it's true that we have them in Bolivia. But
when the people are conscious, when the people
know what needs to be done, any difference among
the different local leaders ends. We've been
making progress in this for a long time, so that
our people are finally able to rise up, together.

What I want to tell you, compañeras and
compañeros ­ what I dream of and what we as
leaders from Bolivia dream of‹ is that our task
at this moment should be to strengthen
anti-imperialist thinking. Some leaders are now
talking about how we ­ the intellectuals, the
social and political movements ­ can organize a
great summit of people like Fidel, Chávez. and
Lula to say to everyone: "We are here, taking a
stand against the aggression of the US
imperialism." A summit at which we are joined by
compañera Rigoberta Menchú, by other social and
labor leaders, great personalities like Pérez
Ezquivel. A great summit to say to our people
that we are together, united, and defending
humanity. We have no other choice, compañeros and
compañeras ­ if we want to defend humanity we
must change system, and this means overthrowing US imperialism.

That is all. Thank you very much.