[News] PROTEST logging of ancient redwoods--Dec. 6 in SF!

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 5 08:29:54 EST 2005

             ><::><::><::><::><::><::><::><
                         CALL TO ACTION!
     from the Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters
             ><::><::><::><::><::><::><::><

Come out and Stand Up for the Ancient Redwoods!

EMERGENCY RALLY !!  Tuesday Dec. 6 at noon

Sen. Dianne Feinstein's office
One Post St. @ Market, San Francisco

PLEASE COME DURING THE LUNCH HOUR AND SHOW THAT WE THE PEOPLE OPPOSE
LOGGING OF ANCIENT REDWOODS!

We will be painting murrelets and planning on Saturday, Dec. 3 at 4
pm at the BACH office in West  Berkeley (address below).
Come help if you can and get flyers to distribute.

WHY WE MUST DO THIS NOW-
On Veteren's day, Maxxam/Pacific Lumber (PL) started logging in the
Nanning Creek Grove in Humboldt County, and have now moved into the
ANCIENT REDWOOD GROVE that includes trees OVER 15 FEET IN DIAMETER
and up to 2000 years old.

Earth First! and Humboldt Forest Defense activists have erected
tree-sits in the branches of some of the massive trees, and have held
vigils at the logging road gate outside Scotia, including a lock-down
action last Monday when four people were arrested.

JOIN THE GROWING RESISTANCE TO THE DESTRUCTION OF PRECIOUS OLD GROWTH
FOREST HABITAT!

Nanning Creek Grove is east of the company town of Scotia and
comprises the largest chunk of in-tact unprotected habitat for the
federally listed Marbled Murrelet in California.

Logging in this rare habitat, which should be protected under the
Endangered Species Act (ESA) is allowed under provisions of the 1999
Headwaters Deal, negotiated by Senator Feinstein and other government
officials and the infamous corporate raider Charles Hurwitz, CEO of
Maxxam Corp.

The murrelet is listed as threatened under the ESA and as endangered
under the California ESA. Permission granted by US Fish and Wildlife
Service for ScoPac to log this critical habitat flies in the face of
a 2004 report commissioned by that same agency that stated that
current logging practices in Northern California threaten the small
seabird with an 80% probability of extinction in the next 55 years,
and a 100% probability of extinction in the next 95 years. The
250-acre plan was cynically named named "Bonanza" by PL.

Info: 510-548-3113

See images of tree-sits and the magnificent forest at
<http://www.wesavetrees.org/>http://www.wesavetrees.org

THE TIME IS NOW !!

--

Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters (BACH)

2530 San Pablo Ave.
Berkeley, CA  94702
phone: 510 548 3113
email: <mailto:bach at headwaterspreserve.org>bach at headwaterspreserve.org